Thursday 14 July 2011

Even More Questions

In addition to the book reading frenzy, discussed in my last post, I also spent large chunks of time on the internet, during this period of hyper-intense searching.  But rather than finding the answers I was seeking (and expecting) what I found, to my complete surprise, were more unanswered (and unanswerable?) questions.  I remember stumbling into a website, early on, with an intriguing title, Why Won't God Heal Amputees?  Eventually I watched all of their videos, but the first one I saw (and the one that sticks with me most, to this day) was on the subject of prayer... 


Growing up, my mother had indeed often told me that God answers prayers with "yes, no and wait".  At the time, it made sense.  After all, God can't just say "yes", to everything we ask him for, right?  (Even though the Bible seems to suggest otherwise.)  If He did, than how would we "grow in Christ"?  Instead, we need to trust that He knows what's best for us.  In other words, if what you ask for doesn't happen, just keep trusting!  Surprisingly, it never occured to me, at the time, that "yes, no and wait" are the only three possible options...so, in effect, this is a completely meaningless (and, more importantly, unfalsifiable) statement. 

My questions were deepening, and, dare I say it, tinges of doubt were beginning to creep into my thinking.

Oh, and why won't God heal amputees?

Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment